Wednesday 10 December 2014

Film is nearly dead

I had a conversation with someone recently about movie stuff and the subject of projection came up. They just could not get their head round film projection. It seems that certain people just don't consider what the world was like before digital. It's sad really that film (as in celluloid) is slowly being forgotten about. I also have a friend who has recently started using 35mm cameras to take photographs. I remember one situation where we took a group photo with someone else and that someone else then asked to see the photo (facepalm). I'm grateful for digital, don't get me wrong, but I just think 35mm film still has its place in the modern world. Movies shot on film just have that dreamlike quality to them and it's something that I feel modern movies are missing. Ideally, digital and film should coexist. Modern film cameras have all these digital features to assist the operator but they still use 35mm to record images and I think that's the way it should be. Film projection is still very common and in a lot of cases, movies shot in a digital format get printed to film so they can be shown at cinemas that don't yet have the facility to digitally project. I feel that shooting on film also encourages filmmakers to take more care since film stock is expensive and once it's exposed, you can't go back and record over it like you can with video tape. Video should be used for TV and film should stay with the motion picture industry...

No comments:

Post a Comment